The ex episcopal seminary

The decision to build a new seminary for the bishopric of Adria and Rovigo is due to the bishop Arnaldo Speroni degli Alvarotti. Worrying about the clergy education, he managed to buy the buildings and the establishment of the abolished convent of S. Agostino. The project was committed to the architect priest Domenico Cerato (†1792) (as report F.Bartoli, The paintings sculpture and architectures of the city of Rovigo. Venice, at Pietro Savioni, 1793); this choice is probably due to the fact that Cerato had already worked in the seminary of Vicenza and in the seminary of Verona and in many churches and convents in Veneto, among which that of S.Giustina in Padua. In 1779 was laid the first stone, as attest the stone walled in the church of S. Agostino in the memory of the event. The works weren't directed by Cerato, but the task was assigned to Giovan Battista Padrin dal Tresto (other interesting figure of proto, to whom are due many works in the Polesine, among which the church of Villanova del Ghebbo, the church of Arquà Polesine and the construction of the Dome of Rovigo in 1770). After the death of Giovan Battista Padrin, the factory was directed by Giovanni Sabadini until the end of the works in 1794.


Arnaldo Speroni degli Alvarotti, of a noble paduan family, was a Cassinese Benedictine monk of the Congregation of S. Giustina. After being for six years a master of the novices of S. Giorgio Maggiore and after of S. Paolo fuori le mura in Rome, in 1776 was elected bishop of Adria and Rovigo. During his pastoral assignment he made arrange besides the Seminary also the Adria Cathedral (1776), so he made renovate the bishop's palaces of Rovigo (1788) and Adria.